Wednesday, August 29, 2012

On Pregnancy: A Review of Broken by Kelley Armstrong

Broken (Women of the Otherworld, # 6)When I picked this book out of my TBR pile, I remembered only one fact with any clarity: this is the one where Elena is pregnant. And, I'm not going to lie, that was what intrigued me. I really wanted to see how this strong character, so familiar and beloved to me, would cope with impending motherhood.

The meat of the plot, however, deals with Elena unwittingly unleashing the soul of Jack the Ripper from a stolen letter. As a result, she and the gang have a zombie hunt to deal with.

Positive Comments

I really enjoy these characters, and I find that any chance to visit them is a treat. I like the fact that Clay and Elena have clearly grown as a couple. The relationship has continued to mature and develop, as good relationships do in real life. Their willingness to take the risk to try to become parents is evidence of that maturity.

I really appreciated the fact that the core plot was not about the baby. We were blessedly NOT victimized with the mystical pregnancy trope, so common to the fantasy and paranormal romance genre. Instead, it's a relatively normal pregnancy that causes normal conflicts and ends happily. Armstrong could have easily made Elena's baby have the spirit of Jack the Ripper or Satan, or be the werewolf chosen one. Nothing so ridiculous happens here.

Critical Comments

To be honest, I really found the Jack the Ripper plot to be entirely uninteresting. I'm not big on serial killers and old mysteries and so forth. I admit that it made for a few suspenseful moments, but for the most part it just felt like something I had to read through.

Recommendation

Six books in...is it still a great series? Admittedly, I don't think I've enjoyed any of these books as much as I did Bitten. Broken may actually be the weakest in terms of plot. This is partially balanced out by the fact that I really like the primary and secondary characters, and I enjoyed seeing them interact in new ways. So, yes, if you've liked the series up to this point, I suggest you keep reading. 3.5 stars.

3 comments:

  1. I tried the first two books, but didn't enjoy it enough to buy book three. Just not my cup of tea, I guess. Sometimes I do retry a series if people keep raving about it, but your last sentence convinces me it's best to leave it be. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm. Interesting. My request for a library copy finally came through yesterday so I'm getting to start this one soon. I really love old real life cases so hopefully this one will work for me. Glad to hear the pregnancy doesn't take over! Can't wait for a little more of Clay. He's still one of my favorites :)

    If you haven't seen it here's a link to the WOTO reading challenge. Broken was this months book and anyone can join in and link up. She's giving out some nice prizes too :)

    http://www.moonlightgleam.com/2012/08/women-of-otherworld-series-challenge.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haven't read any of these but I believe Bitten is on my TBR list. Thanks for the review! :D

    ReplyDelete

Thoughtful comments are appreciated! I always respond to them, and I usually return the favor! Happy reading!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...